Hearty Potato and Vegetable Soup

This has become my favorite go to soup whenever I just want something healthy, hearty, and filling for lunch or dinner. With the weather turning cold, I have been enjoying this soup more and more. It really is such a good for you soup that is extremely versatile and can be catered to the vegan, meat lover, gluten free, and even the fussy kid eaters. You can add subtract or improvise anything into this soup. I love it just the way it is but sometimes I like to add different seasonal vegetables or noodles instead of potatoes, or adding meat but the spices are so delicious and good for you that it is the best base for adding on keeping just the way it is.

To preface this recipe, it is for someone who has an idea how to make soup as I rarely measure the ingredients and tend to make it just based off how much of the ingredients I have or how much I feel like putting in that day.

The soup starts off with a colorful mirepoix. Once the onions are almost translucent and the carrots are soft quickly add the garlic and ginger.




These are the spices that I use in this soup, they are all delicious and so good for you and add lots of layers of flavor to the soup, I usually go pretty heavy on the curry powder and turmeric but you can customize it to your taste. I only use salt right at the end for a little more flavor.




I add the spices to the pan and stir and let sit for about 45 seconds or a minute just before I add the chicken broth (or vegetable broth).

After the broth comes the quartered potatoes, I use a lot of potatoes normally because it just makes the soup extra hearty and I do not usually choose to add meat.



Bring the broth to a boil and then let simmer for about an hour until the potatoes are tender and then season to your taste. And this is where it is done!

My favorite vegetable to layer on is Bok Choy. I will just add it in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Only cook what you will eat that meal as bok choy does not save well in the soup, it loses its crunch!



The last time I made this soup it was after Thanksgiving so I had tons of leftover ham, so I heated up some ham in a pot and then added just a single serving of the soup for myself and it was soo delicious!



I hope you enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts